Weekly Update 11-2-16 to 11-8-16

I spent a lot of time coding this week. I decided to try to figure out sending data from the uSD card to a computer over bluetooth. I already had code to send data over bluetooth and to read a uSD card so I really had to do was combine the code. This doesn’t sound very hard, and in the end wasn’t, but took a while because I did not understand the bluetooth code as well as a thought. Eventually I was able to read a string of text from the uSD and then send it to my phone via bluetooth, which received it as ASCII code. I decided that was close enough and moved on to trying to do the same thing with one of our DATA.SRK files. I was working but the transfer was super slow. I think I was running into a problem with how I was using bluetooth, and not the data rate of bluetooth itself but I still need to check.

At the end of the week I moved bluetooth coding back to back burner because my order of PCBs came in. I got some more layer 3 boards, a board for testing the different uSD slots I’m looking at, and a breakout board for the new gyro. I began by assembling the uSD test board. I found 2 of the slots worked, and the 3rd did not. I assembled a second test board for the non working slot and it still did not work. This means the problem is with the slots or the design and not the soldering. Instead of troubleshooting the slot I am just going to chose between the two working slots for placement on the sharkduino.

uSD test board

uSD test board

Finally I assembled the gyro breakout board. This was hard to do since the gyro uses a very small package, but in the end I got it to work. I does however not have the expected I2C address and I have not been able to determine if the data I’m getting from it is actually good. That is a problem for next week. For know all I know is that it sends and receives data.

New gyro breakout board

New gyro breakout board